10 Things That Matter More Than Grades
1. The Ability to Learn - Today’s definition of education revolves around studying for tests. These tests teach that the only thing that matters with intelligence and learning is memorizing for a test. When they’re over, most students simply forget everything they learn. The ability to truly learn, not just study or memorize, is priceless.
2. Responsibility - Responsibility is something lacking in our culture. Diligence and responsibility can’t be measured by a grade!
3. Compassion - Compassion and kindness can take a person far in life, and the rewards are far greater and long-lasting than an “A” on a report card.
4. Integrity - Integrity matters more than grades, and is something that cannot be measured by a test! Integrity is the foundation of character, and people with good integrity will do the right thing, even when it’s difficult or unpopular.
5. Wisdom - Wisdom and discernment are more important than intelligence, and both can’t be measured by a test. Proverbs 1:7 NIV: The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
6. Real life experience - Real life experience has been invaluable in my life, and is among one of the top reasons I love homeschooling so much! Real life experience offers the job experience many employers are looking for, and some subjects, like entrepreneurship, just can’t be taught fully in a classroom.
7. Time management - With running a business and having a full time college course load, time management is crucial. Effective time management allows for more time to spend on the things that matter, and can help you feel more organized.
8. Ambition & goals - It’s important for young people to think big, and truly make the most out of their lives and youth. Goals, ambition, and passion can take a kid far in life, regardless of their academic standing.
9. Resilience- Life can be rough sometimes, and bad things are inevitable. It’s important to keep a resilient spirit that’s willing to spring back up in the midst of life’s hardest moments. Resilience can also grow courage and problem solving skills!
10. The love of learning -Learning is infinite, and is a lifelong process. The more you learn and explore, the more you realize how little you know in life.
11. Public speaking and interview skills
In today’s highly competitive world, solid written and oral skills are a must. Despite speech and writing classes, the quality, persuasion and passion when speaking simply cannot be conveyed in a grade.
12. Enthusiasm - A person can have the best grades with the worst attitude! Enthusiasm is much more important than grades, and can’t be bought or taught!